Meaningful Work…God’s Gift to You

If you’re new to Life Compass, on Sundays I write on spirituality & faith. I do it because we’re all spiritual beings and have a moral compass in our lives.  You can learn more by clicking here. Today I’m reposting an article I wrote a year ago, called Is Your Job a Gift From God?, which I thought was especially applicable here at Christmas.

A few years ago, I heard Marcus Buckingham, one of Gallup’s lead researchers and author of Now Discover Your Strengths, speak at a conference.  He said something that absolutely floored me:

80% of Americans feel unhappy and unfulfilled in their work.

That number, he said, was up from 70% a few years before!  My mouth dropped open when I heard the news!  I had no idea.

Could it really be true that eight out of ten men and women, maybe even you, work at a meaningless job that doesn’t match their purpose and calling in life?  Sadly, it was true.

And then a thought came to mind – actually, it was a verse of scripture – that really gave me something to think about!

That each person finds pleasure in his work…this is a gift from God. – Ecclesiastes 3:13

These were the words of Solomon, the wisest man who ever lived.  I sat and thought about the verse for a few minutes, and then I asked myself,

How is it that God intends for each person to find pleasure and meaning in his or her work…and yet only 20% of Americans actually do.  Is God really playing a cruel trick on the other 80% who don’t find pleasure in their work?  Or are they missing something somewhere?”

Later, I had an “A-ha” moment and wondered if the key to the whole thing was the word “gift.”

What if God does give each of us meaningful and pleasurable work as a gift…but few people ever take the time to look for the gift or to receive it?”

After all, someone may give me a gift by placing it under the Christmas tree.  But that gift isn’t really mine until I look under the tree, find the gift, pick it up, shake it, open it, and eventually use it.

That’s just the way it is, I believe, with our work, if we see it as a gift from God.  I believe God gives each of us a calling in life and work we’re meant to do.  But He doesn’t often make it so plain for us to see, does He?  We don’t typically hear a declaration from heaven saying, “John Smith, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to…”  Life sure would be simpler if He did!

Instead, He wraps up our calling like a gift and places it inside of us.  Then it is up to us to unwrap the gift and discover it for ourselves.

How do we do that?  You can learn how by reading the post Ten Pillars of Lifestyle Design – #3 “Clarify Your Life Purpose”.

So, let me ask you, friend…Does your job feel like a gift – or is it more like a curse?  Do you find satisfaction and fulfillment in your life and work?  Are you at peace with who you are and what you do for a living?

If not – Do something about it!  Don’t waste another minute working a job that isn’t fulfilling.  Life is too short!  Keep reading, because our goal at Life Compass is to help you achieve your dreams and create more freedom, purpose and fulfillment in your life and work!

You might also like:

Comments

  1. A wake up call for me – i have no ppleasure doing my job

  2. Boa Tarde Lídio,Segundo informações do fabricante as primeiras remessas devem chegar na loja no máximo no meio de junho, mas eu pamnciularrette acredito que daqui uns 10 ou 15 dias já se encontre nas maiores e melhores magazines online OK. Se você tiver dificuldades neste tempo, por favor, me avise que entraremos em contato com o fabricante informado sua procura. A Cooler Master certamente estará pronta em lhe atender.Conte conosco, e seja muito bem vindo.

Speak Your Mind

*